Wednesday 1 July 2009

Le Magnifique


I think I've once again fallen into one of those unrequited love affairs, this time with this french guy called "Robert Le Magnifique". You may call his musical work a more modern and grimey version of "Serge Gainsbourg", throwing in bits of rap in the mix aswell. I especially love the work he did on the album titled "Hamlet" released back in 2003, in a collaboration with "Tepr" - another personal favorite of mine - and "My Dog Is Gay". In that album they mix Tepr's great synths with Robert's creative and imaginative world, all the while citing Shakespeare's Hamlet as a sort of rap in the background. And the french language itself just adds such a great layer of artistic ingenuity to it as well.



Rap is an even more essential part to his other works, which may be part of the reason I don't like it quite as much as "Hamlet", but to me it's hard for any album to achieve what "Hamlet" did. I now feel even more inclined to learn the french language just so that I may understand the lyrics in Robert's music, and sadly I was barely able to fetch any information on him at all since all I can find written about him is in french. Well, I guess that kind of just enhances the mystery around him, and that can be a good thing.

Robert Le Magnifique

These first songs are taken from "Hamlet". I especially like "Ophélie#1", I find Hiron's vocals to be extremely soothing, and moreover I really like the piano in there, just a simple few notes being played throughout the whole song, but they really get their point across, so to speak. The next track is "Hamlet#1", one of the tunes containing the rap strings I was talking about, featuring the vocals of "Nicolas Petitsoff". The third is titled "Les Comédiens", I especially like the short opening with the typical Baroque'esque music. Then there's "Ophélie#2", following up on the piano from #1, riding off into some really harsh beats by the 2.20 mark, no doubt symbolizing Ophelias descent into madness. 

Right-click and open new window

Next I'm throwing up a few selected works from some of his other albums. First off is "K.A.M." off of his 2004 release, "Kinky Attractive Muse", heating up a few nice beats, followed by some more piano. Next one is also off of "Kinky Attractive Muse", titled "Impasse D" and it follows the same structure as all the other tracks off KAM, with a slowly progressing, somewhat monotone beat. But I really like it. Next is "Pom Pom Ace" off of his selftitled 2002 release, showing off some of his talent on mixing Jazz. Last but not least, although shortest is the track "Oh Yeah Baby" off of the album with the same name released in 2008, with some really nice sampling from 50's songs.

Righ-click and open new window





No comments:

Post a Comment